Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"wtf", Peter Lerangis--Thoughts

For the record, a "Full Review" is harder to write. I have to form a solid opinion and condense it. Here, I can kinda go off the beaten path and have vague opinions~

So, wtf. Colloquially, "what the fuck", in case you didn't know.

First thing I noticed was that the teaser on the back bears very little resemblance to the actual plot. Rather annoying, to the say the least.

Second thing I noticed, this book is written from six different viewpoints, separated by chapters. Normally this grates on me, but for some reason it didn't this time around. The story centers on three kids trying to sell what they think are drugs and how the situation pretty much goes to hell as other people get involved.

It's kinda like "Things Fall Apart" (Achebe) but with drugs and the mob, set in present day NYC. Also much shorter. :P

I doubt the novel breaks 250 pages, which is pretty disappointing given the potential contortions of the plot. Sure, everything is resolved neatly, but it *could* have stretched on for another couple hundred pages with some serious drama and romance.

As it is, all the conflict is resolved by a single car crash and the reader gets nice little one-paragraph ever-afters* for the six main characters.

So. This book is actually pretty fun to read from a schadenfreude angle, as you watch things go to hell in a handbasket and back again, but I definitely wouldn't make it my primary book at any time.

*My term for the "where are they now?" blurbs that the author sometimes provides for characters at the end of a book. The Septimus Heap series is particularly good at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment